Girl Scouts Participate in HK Project Sandy Relief Effort
On Saturday, troop will collect donations at Bank of America; HK continues donation drive at Woman's Club.
Seth Boyden Junior GS Troop 20648 will be outside of Bank of America in Maplewood Village on Saturday, Dec. 8 from 12 - 3 p.m. to collect donations for victims of Hurricane Sandy.
The troop is conducting the collection in association with HK Project's Hurricane Sandy Donation Drive at the Maplewood Women's Club.
Here is what is needed:
- Cleaning Supplies
- Building Materials
- Gift Cards to Target, Pathmark, Home Depot
HK Project is continuing its relief efforts through the holidays and has partnered with community-based organizations in those New Jersey communities hit hardest by the storm, including:
- Union Beach, NJ – Memorial Middle School which lost everything, Manna House Women and Children’s Homeless Shelter and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church.
- Asbury Park - The Asbury Park Salvation Army is directly involved in helping the needs of the community of Asbury Park who were devastated by Hurricane Sandy.
- Bayonne, NJ -Reverend Rosemarie Cohen Harran of the Highways of Bayonne a non-profit a private, non-profit organization dedicated to providing services for the handicapped and the disadvantaged in Bayonne struggling after the storm.
The families and children in these communities need donations of food, toys and stocking stuffers for the holidays, according to the HK website.
Specific donation items needed include:
- School supplies – 1 ½ inch binders. notebooks, paper tablets
- Food supplies – Non perishables
- Holiday Toys – Tonka Trucks, K-Nex, Beyblads & Arenas, Baby Dolls, including those of Hispanic & Black Ethnicities, Nerf Guns, Board Games, Dora the Explorer Dolls, Ematic eSport Clips, Craft Kits for girls ages 10 to 12 and learning & sensory toys for children 0 to 3 years.
- Baby Clothes – boys & girls up to 24 months
Donations are being collected on December 8, 15 and 22 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Maplewood Woman's Club, 60 Woodland Road, Maplewood.