Maplewood DPW Issues Hurricane Sandy Information
What to do about leaves, tree limbs, sump pumps and more.
The following was released on Sunday by Maplewood Township Administrator Joseph Manning:
1) Storm related calls will be handled on a priority basis.
2) DO NOT put any leaves in to the street until after the storm has passed.
3) If you have a storm sewer grate in front of your property try to keep it open from leaves and debris to prevent flooding.
4) It is illegal to have sump pumps connected to your sanitary sewer line. If your sump pump discharges in to the sanitary sewer line you must disconnect it immediately. This will help prevent the sanitary sewer system from backing up in to not only your house but your neighbors houses as well.
5) During and for a short time after the rainfall try to use as little water as possible as this will also relieve the pressure put on the sanitary sewer system.
6) The recycling center will be closed from Monday October 29th through Wednesday October 31st.
7) The current leaf collection schedule will be postponed until further notice. The schedule will be updated once we access the damage from the storm.
8) Should tree limbs fall on your property – when placing them at the curb try to keep them separated from the leaves.
9) Monitor the Township Website for updates.