Maplewood Township Committee Candidate Arthur Gartenlaub
Gartenlaub is running as a Republican.
As a fiscal conservative, I recognize that the Township Committee is under enormous pressure to meet community needs in addition to meeting the communities' increased financial burdens; however, although I agree with close to 90% of the township committee's decisions, it is the other 10% of decisions that might benefit the township's taxpayers from another and possibly creative viewpoint. The benefit would not come from a political perspective, (as I've been quoted as having said, in the past, "there is no Republican or Democratic way to fill a pothole), but from the standpoint of a born and raised, locally active, community caring Maplewoodian.
As a lifelong resident of Maplewood, having attended and graduated from Clinton School, South Orange Junior High School and Columbia High School, I have always been proud to be a native Maplewoodian. After attending American University and serving in the US Army in a variety of assignments, I have been fortunate enough to have gained career experiences ranging from teaching at Seton Hall University to a variety of entry level, Managerial and Executive positions in both Large and Small Business organizations.
I am married, with four children along with my wife who is also a native of the Maplewood/South Orange community. Each member of the family has gone through the Maplewood South Orange School System. Throughout my years as a resident of Maplewood, I have remained active in community affairs having served on the Board of Directors of the Jersey Animal Coalition, a three time president of the Maplewood Glee Club, a volunteer for a variety of 4th of July committees, a former musical director for several Strollers’ productions, a four time Commander of the Maplewood Memorial Post 10120 Veterans of Foreign Wars, a member of the American Legion, a member of the Maplewood/South Orange Elks, a former member of The Maplewood Rotary, a Member of the recently organized Service Organization Maplewood Project and most currently, responsible for the organization of Maplewood’s 2012 Annual Memorial Day Parade and Memorial Ceremony.
In addition, my wife Margaret “Willie” Gartenlaub is a licensed Real Estate Agent and she and I have been an established Musical Duo for many years, often known as Amazing Art & Wonderful Willie.