Meet Mr. T at CHS for a Day
Achieve supports the South Orange - Maplewood schools
Meet Mr. T at CHS for Day.
Yes, South Orange - Maplewood's own Allan Tumolillo, who puts the fun back in Physics at Columbia High School, will share his passion for science at CHS for a Day.
"Physics is both very abstract to most people, and quite intimidating to a lot of people, students included. The sessions I am hosting, I hope, help people get through a few of the issues of intimidation in physics – building a bridge which is a bunch of applied physics and common sense (better known as engineering), what is time (which is a huge topic with lots of weird things to talk about), and driving a car, which we all do. The last session is one on science and society," says Tumolillo.
Students who know Mr. T as a teacher or Robotics coach can tell their parents what to expect. However, Tumolillo may surprise them. Questions he hopes parents will ponder include, "Is the climate changing? Will robots take over employment sector after employment sectors? What world are we leaving to our kids?"
With hands-on fun and philosophical discussions, CHS for a Day students will go home refreshed. "The answers to these questions and the appreciation of what a bridge does and why, being able to tell your children why a car does what it does, what is time – these may all be useful, and I hope interesting! Fun too!"
Mr. T recommends lots of good books for thoughtful locals:
1) Einstein’s Dreams by Alan Lightman
2) Mr g, a Novel About the Creation of the Universe, also by Alan Lightman
3) Einstein’s Monsters by Martin Amis
4) Einstein’s B ridhe by John Cramer
5) The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom
6) The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
7) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, by Philip K. Dick
8) Asimov’s Robot Trilogy – Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun and The Robots of Dawn
9) The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov
10) Art and Physics, Parallel Visions in Space, Time, and Light by Leonard Shlain
11) Night Thoughts of a Classical Physicist by Russell McCormmach
12) The Forever War and the sequel, The Forever Peace both by Joe Haldeman
13) The Inner History of Devices by Sherry Turkle (or most any other book she wrote)
The Achieve Foundation is proud to host CHS for a Day on March 16. Enjoy courses including physics, math, Shakespeare, genetics, art and computer skills. Participants shared lunch in the Cougar Cafe to round out the day. Registration forms will be available in January.
Achieve is pleased to collaborate with SOMEA (the local teacher’s union), the Adult School, Columbia H.S.A., Presidents’ Council, the Cougar Café, Cougar Boosters and the CHS Alumni Association to host CHS for a Day.