Did you know that children, teens and adults still live in tents in the temporary camp on Rues des Freres, Haiti nearly two years after the earthquake?
In less than 3 weeks, I will be traveling to Haiti to visit this camp with my mother, a photographer, and Laura Simms, a professional storyteller, writer and humanitarian. Laura has visited Haiti six times since the earthquake and has made a commitment to support the women and children in their ongoing efforts to bring self empowering activities to the camp.
The women, most of them mothers, have met in an unprecedented support group for the past two years. You can read about their group and view a slideshow HERE. We can support their self empowering activities. It is our intention to support their wish to get back to work, even though they are still in the tents. Most of the women worked independently as street merchants. (There is already an ongoing plan in place for a card and folkart business that affects up to 50 of the women). And for the children and the Girls Group (founded with Laura in July 2011) we can support ongoing arts activities that they have requested.
I was so touched by Laura’s commitment and the heartfelt requests from this community that I was quickly called to do everything in my power to work with them.
So here is where you come in. This mother’s day (this May, really) as a fundraising effort I am offering you the chance to be part of this project through a unique Mother’s Day Gift.
Donate ANY amount to this cause before May 18th and you will receive the gift of a coaching package. 100% of your donation will go to this cause. You can buy this gift for yourself, a friend, your mother or even your friends who are not mothers (men or women).
You will also have access to photographs, updates and stories about their progress.
If you would like to learn some tools to help you plan, balance, manage or simply feel better, don’t pass this up!
This is your opportunity to support yourself or someone you love and simultaneously support a mother and child in Haiti. Everyone can participate as all the sessions will be on the phone.
Here is how it works:
Donate $1 to $50 = receive a half hour coaching session package
Donate $51 to $100 = receive a one hour coaching session package
Donate $101 to $200= receive a two one hour session package
Donate $200+ = receive a three one hour session package
Coaching packages such as these cost $500 per month so this is your opportunity to try this out at whatever level you would like. No donation amount is too small. But you have to donate before May 18th. Why not do it today?
**And if you are not interested in coaching, you can, of course, still donate by clicking HERE
All the participants will receive:
- A pre-coaching assessment to get clear on areas of their life that we can focus on
- The package purchased
- Unlimited laser coaching (5-10 minute telephone or email coaching) during the month.
- A tax receipt for your donation
- The satisfaction of helping someone in need.
I thank you in advance for your donation and making our world a happier place for all of us!
PS: Every penny you donate goes directly to:
- Purchase backpacks and art supplies
- Setting up permanent art and dance classes for the children through local instructors
- Disposable cameras and photographic supplies to support the women to create a healing storytelling and empowering project
- Gift scarves for each of the 200 women living in the camp to be used during Laura’s unique storytelling (which has already made a major impact in these women’s lives)
- Notebooks, pens, markers and pencils for the children
- Tarps for the rainy season
- Click HERE to make your donation today