The coming April Fool's Day weekend is so packed with stellar events and activities to partake of that, this time out, we decided to start our listing early, beginning with Thursday instead. No joke!
Highlights Thursday evening include a screening at Seton Hall University of the film , starring Hilary Swank and Angelica Huston. happens at Highland Place Restaurant the same night, featuring some of the best comediennes from our local area doing their hilarious shtick live. And, just around the corner, don't miss the book discussion and signing at Words with the authors of , an enlightening business case study of how the lads from Liverpool became an enduring multi-billion-dollar franchise.
Other big highlights this weekend include the kick-off of Downtown Millburn Week and Restaurant Week, featuring sales, discounts, and special events at many Millburn retailers and food establishments throughout downtown, starting Saturday and continuing on the entire week. The children's classic takes over the stage at the Paper Mill Playhouse for a fun, live rendition on Saturday morning. Studio B and their popular series returns to The Burgdorff Center on Sunday for a wonderful afternoon of Oscar winning short animated films, fit for the entire family.
The and brunch takes place Sunday at the Woman's Club of Maplewood. And don't forget SOMBike's family ride on Sunday starting in South Orange, on Saturday in Millburn, and 1978 Art Center's jazz film screenings in Maplewood on Sunday.
Here's the weekend's "extended" round-up:
- : From SHU: "The League of Women Voters and Seton Hall co-sponsor a presentation of the film Iron Jawed Angels. The film stars Hilary Swank, Angelica Huston, Frances O’Connor, and Julia Ormond and is the story of two prominent women who fought for women’s suffrage in the United States -- Alice Paul and Lucy Burns organized protests, went to jail and staged hunger strikes, continuing to fight for the 19th Amendment and eventually prevailing. These women risked their lives to fight for what we so often take for granted. Parking is available at the Seton Hall parking deck. For more details please call 973-313-1535. The movie will be shown in the Nursing Building Amphitheater, NU 113. Free and open to the public. Thursday, 7:00pm, South Orange
- Dreamcatcher Rep's Multiple Personality Disorder: April 9
- How South Mountain Reservation Began and Grew: April 10
- Dave Mason at Temple B'nai Jeshurun: April 10
- Bill Charlap & Renee Rosnes at SOPAC: April 16
- Orla Fallon of Celtic Woman at SOPAC: April 17
- South Orange River Day: May 1
- Millburn Classic Car Show: May 15
- Springfield Avenue MayFest 2011: May 15
- 5th annual Celebrate South Orange: June 11
Donald Pun lives in Maplewood and posts the event round-up column here each weekend. Previously, he was a regular contributor for the NY Times' Maplewood, South Orange, and Millburn Local blog section.