Updated 12:30 p.m. April 7, 2011: Waste Industries will also be offering curbside pickup of 4 bulk items a month. Collection will take place on the last day of the month. Should that day fall on a Sunday, it will be held on the Saturday before. Customers must call 973-761-0009 to schedule an appointment.
People of earth, Earth Day approaches!
In order to celebrate our home planet — and, let's face it, this is something all earthlings can get behind — Patch is featuring a few local ways to reduce, reuse and recycle in order to declutter the globe as well as our closets, basements and garages.
Tree-Hugging Idea No. 1: Shred-a-thon 2011
Taking place Saturday, April 09, 2011, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. or until the truck fills up, at the , located at 359 Boyden Ave. Not only can you get rid of pesky old financial papers and other documents, you can also enjoy the thrill of watching the giant shredding truck in action. You even get to watch your items shredded through a tiny window in the side of the truck.
Tree-Hugging Idea No. 2: Bulk Drop Off
The dates for bulk item drop off at the Maplewood Recycling Center at 359 Boyden Avenue are:
- May 14, 2011, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- September 10, 2011, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Keep in mind the Bulk Drop Off rules:
- This program is intended for the disposal of household bulk refuse including refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, and furniture, in accordance with the above schedule.
- Household bulk refuse is to be dropped off ONLY ON THE DATES INDICATED.
- Household bulk does NOT include building materials. Building materials include such as concrete, sheetrock, plaster, dirt, wood, shingles, roofing material, siding, doors, kitchen cabinets, decking windows, storm windows, or any related material due to the remodeling or alteration process. There will be no dropping off at any time of car parts, paint or paint cans, trees, branches, tree stumps or firewood. Two forms of proof of residency must be provided each time since this program is for Maplewood residents only.
Tree-Hugging Idea #3: Bulk Pick Up Program
If you are a WASTE MANAGEMENT customer, you can get up to four items picked up curbside on the last Wednesday of each month. Waste Management asks that you place them curbside the evening before, but you MUST make an appointment by calling 1-800-633-9096. This program will replace the fall pick up program. Just to note: The author placed several items on her curb for pick up last month and they were taken by passers-by before they could ever be picked up by Waste Management.
WASTE INDUSTRIES will also be offering curbside pickup of 4 bulk items a month. Collection will take place on the last day of the month. Should that day fall on a Sunday, it will be held on the Saturday before. Customers must call 973-761-0009 to schedule an appointment.
Tree-Hugging Idea #4: Make Yourself and the Planet More Beautiful
This idea comes from the business community. on Springfield Avenue is partnering with Clean Ocean Action to celebrate Earth Day throughout the month of April. Every week in April, stylists will select clients that would like to turn their service payments into a donation. Fringe will also donate $1.00 to Clean Ocean Action for each person that checks in at Fringe on Facebook during the month of April. Every Thursday and Friday this month if you add a mini facial to your service, the proceeds will be donated to COA. Finally, 100% of the purchase price of Aveda organic lavender candles will be donated. Get 'em while supplies last!
Tree-Hugging Idea #5: Electronics Recycling
Get rid of your electronics in a responsible way with Electronics Recycling in Maplewood and South Orange. Accepted items include: Computers, monitors, printers, fax machines, scanners, telecom equipment, speakers, televisions, keyboards, main frames , VCRs, stereos, DVD players, toasters, irons, and old cell phones.
The 2011 schedule is:
- May 21, Maplewood Recycling Center, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- June 18, South Orange Recycling Center. 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- July 16, Maplewood Recycling Center, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- September 17, South Orange Recycling Center, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- October 22, Maplewood Recycling Center, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- December 17, South Orange Recycling Center, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
If you have any questions please call 973-762-1175. The South Orange Department of Public Works is located at 300 Walton Road, South Orange.