Not everyone is headed for a spring idyll somewhere warm and south next week when the South Orange-Maplewood School District shutters its doors for spring break.
If you're staying local — and working away at your desk — here are some fun options to keep the kids safe and occupied in the towns:
From April 2-6 — The program is held at the South Mountain YMCA, utilizing the Y Gym, and program center. The day will include games, sports, field trips, art & crafts and a variety of other activities. Please see below the detailed plans for the most current dates. A bag lunch is required, but the Y will supply a snack in the afternoon. Space is limited to the first 45 registrations. Hours: 7:15am - 7:00pm Fees: Members - $70 per day per child; Non-members - $85 per day per child.
The South Orange Department of Recreation and Cultural Affairs is offering the following activities for children during spring break:
- MULTI SPORTS CAMP. Children ages 5-14 will experience over 15 different sports in one week in the US Sports Institute Multi Sports Camps. Half-day and full-day options are offered April 2-5. Program details and registration information are available at www.USSportsInstitute.com.
- SCIENSATIONAL WORKSHOPS FOR AGES 7-12. 'Sciensational Workshops for Kids' will offer 2 different two-day workshops at the Baird during the spring break week for children ages 7-12: (1) Advanced Robotics, 9:00 am-4:00 pm, April 2-3 and (2) Maglev Cars, 9:00 am-4:00 pm, April 4-5. For complete details and registration information, click here.
- OTHER SPRING ACTIVITIES include Tennis lessons, Tae Kwon Do, Art, Dance and Music classes begin in early April. For a complete listing of offerings, go to www.thebaird.org and select 'View Activities'.
Express Yourself Studios located at 1877 Springfield Avenue in Maplewood will host its annual Spring Break Workshop. The workshop runs April 2- April 27 and is open to children ages 5-12. Choose your Spring Break Week and join us for fun arts & crafts! Register for a week or a day or two. Students will create paintings inspired by Master Artists such as: O’Keeffe, Basquiat, Van Gogh, Warhol, Haring, Cezanne, etc. using a mix of mediums (acrylics, watercolor, and pastels) and other projects using a myriad of materials (clay & paper collages). All materials included, 3-hours of studio time. Please pack a light snack. The Workshop Fee: $150 for the week or $45 per child/per day. To reserve a spot for your youngster please contact the Studio, 973-763-5256, email@example.com. The registration deadline is April 1.
Maplewood Karate will be holding special spring break classes for kids during the week of April 2:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday, Karate for ages 4-6, 4:00 p.m.
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday, Karate for ages 7-14 at 5:00 p.m.; and
- Tuesday and Thursday, Kid Kickboxing, ages 7-14 4:00 p.m.
All classes are $15.00 drop-ins for spring break.
and for more spring break options.
Do you know of a great spring break camp or activity for kids happening in the two towns next week? Is your business offering a spring break camp or special? Tell us in the comments and we will add you to the story!