.

Early Morning Fire at Springfield Avenue Restaurant

Fire causes minor damage to new Maplewood restaurant; no injuries reported.

 

An early morning grease fire caused smoke damage to a Springfield Avenue restaurant early Wednesday morning, according to Capt. Joseph Callaghan of the Maplewood Fire Department.

Heavy smoke billowed through Soul Terrific at 1553 Springfield Ave., said Callaghan, requiring evacuation of residents from the second-floor apartments at the rear of the building. There were no injuries reported.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, which was caused by a deep fat fryer that had been left on, Callaghan said. Maplewood firefighters were assisted by the South Orange and Irvington Fire Departments.

Reached by phone, Soul Terrific owner John Williams said there was a lot of clean up, but no significant damage.

"We will be closed for a few days," he said.

The restaurant opened last fall.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »