A Maplewood man was taken to Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston with burns to his face after his garage caught on fire Saturday afternoon, according to Maplewood fire officials.
Maplewood Fire Department's Platoon 2 responded to a Meadowbrook Road residence at about 12:30 p.m. Saturday on a report of a garage fire, Deputy Chief Joseph Callaghan said.
a large three-bay garage with a storage loft engulfed in smoke and
flames when they arrived.
The homeowner was taken to Saint Barnabas Medical Center with minor burns to the face, Callaghan said. The man was treated and released a short time later, Callaghan said.
The Maplewood Fire Department extinguished the fire in a short time with the assistance from the Millburn, Irvington and South Orange departments. Fire units were released from the scene at 1:55 p.m.
“The garage was deemed a total loss,” Callaghan said. “The cause of the fire at this time is accidental. Due to the quick response by fire department units, there was no damage reported to the surrounding structures.”
Union, West Orange and Montclair Fire departments provided coverage to Maplewood during the incident.