I am running for re-election to the Maplewood Township Committee because I want to continue delivering results on the important projects that I have been working on as a member of the Committee.
As chair of our Finance Committee, I have helped lead the effort to control spending, reduce our overall municipal debt level, and keep our taxes as low as possible while delivering key municipal services. Our creative efforts to partner with neighboring communities – and even neighboring counties! – has allowed us to keep our costs down while maintaining high quality services.
My expertise in planning and development in the Township has been critical in our success with the Walgreens development on Springfield Avenue, and in development projects underway on Burnett Avenue, Dunnell Road, and at the current Post Office site on Maplewood Avenue.
I have also led our efforts to expand our cultural activities in Maplewood, and to begin the effort to link our cultural activities and other commercial and civic activities in the Township. Our goal is to be known as an arts destination for our residents and for our neighbors.
I am asking the voters of Maplewood to re-elect me and my running mate Kathy Leventhal so that we can continue working smart and working hard for Maplewood.
Some biographical points:
- Maplewood resident since 1985.
- Sixteen years of service on the Maplewood Township Committee over the last twenty-one years. I was Vice-Mayor from 1994-1997 and Mayor from 1998-2000).
- Fifteen years of service on the Maplewood Planning Board.
- Active volunteer in Maplewood:
- former member of the Board of Managers of the South Mountain YMCA
- active member and former president of The Strollers Community Theatre
- co-founder of the Community Coalition on Race and the Springfield Avenue Partnership
- Thirty years experience in software engineering, software development and engineering management at Bell Labs, Lusent Technologies, Avaya, and Motorola.
- Currently a Senior University Lecturer in the department of Computer Science at NJIT
- Education: MA in Computer Science from Rutgers University; BE in Electrical Engineering from The Cooper Union, NY