Power was restored to the South End of Cedar Grove - including the South End Elementary School - early Sunday night, said Mayor Peter Tanella.
“PSE&G has been a good friend to us,” said Tanella. “They worked all day to get South End running and have been doing a great job.”
They will now focus on the remaining pockets of town which are still without power including Rugby Road, Sherman Avenue, Todd Terrace and Ridge Court.
“We are aware of them and are now turning our focus to those areas to return power to all parts of the town,” said Tanella.
Cedar Grove students return to school on Monday, Nov. 5, after Hurricane Sandy caused schools to close for five days.
Schools will have normal full days all week except for an early dismissal on Tuesday for Election Day.
Verona students will also return to school on Monday with a modified schedule.
F.N. Brown School is still without power and will be closed. Laning, Brookdale and Forest Elementary schools as well as H.B. Whitehorn Middle School will operate on a regular half-day schedule from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m., said Verona Superintendent Steven Forte.
Verona High School will have a half-day beginning at 7:55 a.m. and ending at 12:08 p.m., Forte said in an email to parents.
“Verona High School and H.B. Whitehorn zero period classes will go on as scheduled,” he said. “Laning preschool will operate on a regular half-day schedule.”
The Verona School District issued the following information:
- FN Brown will conduct class at Laning School from 11:00-3:00
- Drop off begins at 10:45 AM (please do not arrive prior to 10:45)
- Drop off is on Laning Avenue - Drop and Go - please
- Busing - There will be an optional bus for students from the FN Brown School parking lot to Laning School at 10:45 AM
- Aftercare will be available at Laning School from the YMCA until 6:00PM
- All district field trips are canceled
- While the heat is working - the buildings make be a little chilly please have your children bring a sweatshirt
- The food service will not operate until further notice please have your children bring a snack
- The school Halloween celebrations are canceled
- YMCA Aftercare will operate a regular schedule for people who are already signed up- if you would like to sign up for Tuesday please do so at your school or at the Montclair YMCA. Click here for information on aftercare.
- Election day
- there will be a police officer in each building for Election Day
- parent classroom visitations are canceled
- all bake sales are canceled
- 55% of homes in Verona now have power
- Elmwood Road is closed between Linden and Beech
- Reminder - schools will be open Nov. 8 and 9